- This event has passed.
January 28, 2017 - February 26, 2017
The 4th edition of DEBUTS, presenting the most talented emerging Polish photographers, is already waiting for your short portfolios! Let’s the world discover you! Take part in DEBUTS and win presentation in the book and at the exhibition shown during photographic events only! Start your international career with DEBUTS!
If you are a Polish citizen (or if you have the Polish Card) of at least 18 years old and your artistic debut occurred in last 3 years (January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2016), submit* your short portfolio to [email protected]
The ideal portfolio should include:
- 8 photographs (longer side: max. 1000 pix; format: jpg; no diptych, triptych and so on, please)
- full name
- date of birth
- name of the city you are based in
- year of your debut
- description of the debut (see possible debuts cases below)
- description of the submitted portfolio (no more than 1000 characters, please)
- name of the photo school you attend(ed) or statement of being autodidact
- your phone number
- your postal address
- your website address
We are waiting for your submissions until the end of February (11:59 PM CET on February 28, 2017).
Definition of debut:
- your first author’s publication in media (you are the only author of entire story)
- your first exhibition (individual or collective one)
- graduation from the photo school
- whatever occurred first within the above time frame. Any previous publication or exhibition will result with automatic rejection of the submission.
All accepted portfolios will be evaluated by an international jury composed of:
- Peter Bauza – based in Munich (Germany) and Buenos Aires (Argentina) | documentary photographer and visual story-teller | his stories most often address contemporary social and geopolitical issues | his works have been exhibited internationally and published by Days Japan, The New York Times, Vanity Fair, Stern, Paris Match, Die Zeit and doc! photo magazine (doc! #38), among others | his awards portfolio includes Visa d’or Feature Award, Days Japan Photojournalism Award and Moscow International Foto Award (all in 2016) | author of a book Copacabana Palace (Edition Lammerhuber, 2016) | represented by Echo Photojournalism | www.peterbauza.com.
- Grzegorz Kosmala – based in Warsaw (Poland) | founder, publisher, and editor-in-chief of doc! photo magazine, a quarterly mook dedicated to contemporary documentary photography | originator of the DEBUTS project | juror in international photo contests | coordinator of the 7th and 8th editions of BZ WBK Press Foto, one of the Poland’s largest press photography contests.
- Olivier Spillebout – based in Lille (France) | promotor of Polish photography in France | creator and director of the Maison de la Photographie in Lille (1997) | founder of the Transphotographiques Festival (2001).
Marie-Pierre Subtil – based in Paris (France) | editor-in-chief of 6Mois, an international photojournalism magazine publishing photo essays from all over the world, featuring how people live in the 21st century | previously, worked for Le Monde for 22 years.
- Georges Vercheval – based in La Louvière (Belgium) | studied Photography at the École de Photographie de Vevey (Switzerland) | as a photographer, exhibited creative work, mainly from the 1960s until the 1980s | ex-lecturer of Photography and History of Photography in various schools (1962-1998), including ENSAAV La Cambre in Brussels | founder of the Musée de la Photographie at Charleroi (opened in 1987) and its first director until 2000 | columnist of doc! photo magazine.
If you are lucky, you will be invited to the DEBUTS (edition 2017) publication.** The book will be launched at the first DEBUTS (edition 2017) exhibition during the 2017 Fotofestiwal Lodz. Each invited photographer will receive 4 pages (2 spreads) within the publication including the best photographs from the submitted portfolio.
All invited photographers will have to participate in printing cost of the DEBUTS book. The fee amounts PLN 450. With this contribution you will receive:
- 2 copies of the DEBUTS book
- a book mailing to 100 relevant stakeholders representing top of contemporary art museums, photo galleries, festivals, collectors, and agencies in the world
- promotion on the doc! photo magazine website
- participation at the DEBUTS exhibitions
If you have additional questions or if you need additional information, contact us @ [email protected]
* By submitting your portfolio, you declare you are the only owner of the work submitted. If the copyright belongs to a third party such as an agency, you declare you have the right to submit the work free of encumbrances or restrictions. If the photographs were commissioned for private and domestic purposes, you declare you have obtained their permission to submit them. And in case your photographs include models and/or under-age, you declare you have obtained permission from those persons or their curators to submit them for the publication and that no additional releases are required in respect of names, trademarks, designs or works of art depicted in the work.
** In case of being invited to the DEBUTS (edition 2017) publication, you authorise BLOW UP PRESS, publisher of the book, to publish your submitted photographs in DEBUTS (edition 2017) as well as to use them to promote the contest, publication and the exhibitions in traditional and online media worldwide. Such free use shall only be solely and exclusively in connection with the contest, publication and the exhibitions and no longer than until the end of March 2018.