- This event has passed.
OPEN CALL FOR PILOTENKUECHE Leipzig 2017
March 1, 2017 - April 30, 2017
Application deadline: 30/04/2017
The project “PILOTENKUECHE” is an international artist-run residence with an art program in Leipzig.
Description of residency program
The project “PILOTENKUECHE” supports artists and is an international artist-run residence with an art program based in Leipzig, Germany. The independent project is organized by artists with a transdisciplinarily background between art, theory & diverse sciences. The project is always looking for artists to participate in the next and upcoming rounds of its international artist residence & program and considers applications for the october – december 2017 round until 30.04.17.
The program invites selected artists from around the world to come and work in the space for an individual period of 3-4 months or longer. Approximately eleven artists share the group studio and each of them works on an individual or collaborative project during the period working in their own 36m² big area within the 465m² communal loft hall. The communal working space can be used 24-hours a day and turns into the exhibition space during the program events. The artists will receive all documentation necessary to apply for funding and the visa process. If required the project can assist with additional individual reference letters.
The PILOTENKUECHE philosophy is focused on an interest of exchange by group dynamic, experimental strategies and transdisciplinarily exchange. The kinetic dialogue in between the group of artists influences each to go experimental ways about art, its ideas, approaches and methods. Pilotenkueche wishes to provide our participants with the experience of accomplishing something as a group; and, moreover, in experimenting with new forms of cooperation vital in fostering an independent position in one’s work. This leads to an intensive dialogue about individual ideas and working practices, binding the artists individuality temporarily into the group, which leads to a longer-term network that exists even after the residency is over. During each round of the residency, the group of artists can realize and show their projects.
Duration of residency
We offer the following residency periods per year:
- February – May 2017
- June – September 2017
- October – Decembre 2017
From 2018 we provide the following duration about 3 months:
- January – March
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
Disciplines, work equipment and assistance
- studio visits, museum / city tours, welcome dinner and much more
- selected artists participate in our events & exhibitions:
- artist talks event: each artist of the project talks about his/her position
- preview exhibtion / extended open studio: the artists present their first works in a small group show / open studio
- final exhibition: final group show
- disciplines: activism, architecture, conceptual, design, digital, drawing, film, installation, intervention, mixed media, technology, intermedia, literature, painting, performance, photography, printmaking, sculpture, sound, video or other disciplines of arts
- language: English / German
- individual consultations by agreement with curatorial advices and critics
- assistance with visa process, funding / scholarship applications, artistic / theoretical / logistical questions, questions around the daily life by agreement
- curation, event & exhibition organisation for the final exhibition
- web-, graphic-, & advertising / press design, its production & release for the project (roundmails to up to 1000 subsribers, posts to up to 2400 facebook followers)
- documentation of the project
- ‘Welcome to Leipzig’ letter & guide
- general administration, organization & coordination of the project
- some of these services are done in home office if the team is not present in the studio
- living accommodation / rooms are additional
- we offer one place in a 60m² large shared apartment for two artists close to the studio at Demmeringstr. 68, 04177 Leipzig, ground floor
- 1x fitted kitchen, 1x bathroom
- 2x furnished rooms with a bed, shelve, desk & chair each room; communal used kitchen & bathroom with basic inventory
- 2x bikes
- with wifi
- costs: 350,00 EURper month, per artist
- deposit: 350 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by short cancellation, payback after finishing the program
- one furnished 36m² large space (chair, table, provided tools) per artist in our 465m² large communal loft hal,l including wifi and all side costs (water, heating, energy, kitchen, toilet etc.) + usage of the workshop equipment
- approximately eleven artists per month working in the space
- furnished shared used tea kitchen
A large artist supply shop called ‘boesner’ is based on the Spinnerei complex 3km far away from the space where you can find everthing for your work. You also can find a construction market called ‘toom’. For special wishes and needings we can assist with our local experience & knowlegde.
- 36m² big working places equipped with a nice table, chair, lamp and working desks
- moveable walls to change the space and to create up to around 150m² big spaces
- newly designed windows made by Raumbetrieb
- fast internet connection & wifi
- ground heating
- new, oil-covered concrete ground
- shower in a closed area
- darkroom equipment
- provided tools: remote drill, hammer drill, levels, hammers, screwdriver, analoque projector, diverse easels, electric saws, welding machine, grinder etc.
Fees and support
- costs / participation fee: 400,00 EUR
- deposit / caution money: 400 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by short cancellation, payback after finishing the program
- the fee covers the studio & the participation costs
- travel costs, art materials & living accommodation are additional
Who can apply?
Artists from all artistic disciplines (installation, videoart, sculpture, electronic music, painting, drawing, performance, photography, net art etc.) is invited to send us a proposal. You can apply any time. The application should include:
- a short CV with full official adress
- an artist statement
- representative number of examples of your work and (if existing) a link to your website
- Application Form
After receiving the invitation the artist need to pay the deposit(s) to hold his / her place in the program within 14 days. The deposit is not refundable in case of short cancellation. Cancellations have to be announced to the project three months before starting the residence. The deposit will be payed back after finishing the program correctly, without damages or causing additional costs.
Funding & visa
The project ‘PILOTENKUECHE’ will assist the applicant with all documentation & individual recommendation letters (if required / by agreement) and visa aid to receive financial support. Please have a look to our funding guide or on touring-artists.info.
The Leipzig / Halle airport is the most comfortable way to reach us. From there a taxi to the Studio costs around 30 €. A cheaper way is to take the train to Leipzig HBF. A taxi from there costs around 12 €. Another option – the cheapest one – is to take the public transit.
- the project and its team are not individual project managers for the artist
- the project and its team are not obliged to find a gallery for the artist
- the project is not a full-service residency! It is organized by artists for artists, and provides the space and time to create intercultural collaboration.
- please clarify expectations in advance. The project and its team are not obliged to fulfill any expectations. Please contact us about any uncertainties and questions.
Its fully the decision of the artist to sell or not sell his / her artworks. For any sells in the program the project ‘PILOTENKUECHE’ charges 30% commission, which will be used for non-profit purposes (equipment, studio enhancement, inventory or similar). The project will take care about the purchase contract, the entire payment process, corresponds with the buyer and assists with shipping. Please note there is 19% VAT on art sales in Germany.
More information here