5 FULLY FUNDED OPEN CALLS FOR ART
RESIDENCIES FOR ARTISTS IN MAY 2020
Hope you’re all keeping as well as possible during these precarious times. But it is still possible to use this period to your advantage. We prepared a selection of fully funded art residencies for artists from around the world.
See the list of art residencies to apply in May 2020:
>> LE PHARE À LUCIOLES (FRANCE)
This residency is intended for solo artists wishing to benefit from a stay of 17 consecutive days to write, think, reflect, experiment and / or create. The main theme is ARTS / WRITINGS / LANDSCAPES. All the arts can be represented, as well as scientific research, sociology or even philosophy.
Application deadline: 15 May 2020.
- Le Phare à Lucioles will provide the host artist with a workspace corresponding to his needs, as well as an apartment ;
- Access to the workspaces will be in consultation with the technical manager of the M! [lieu] ;
- This residency is open to any artist / scientist / professional researcher, at least 18 years of age ;
- Fees > € 1,200 including tax including residence costs, travel costs and per diem ;
- Residence contract and author’s note.
>> LE CENTRE D’ART CONTEMPORAIN – LA SYNAGOGUE DE DELME (FRANCE)
The average effective duration is 10 weeks minimum to be distributed over a period of 3 months.
- first residency: September – November 2020
- second residence: March – May 2021
- third residence: June – August 2021
Application deadline: 17 May 2020
- to carry out his project, the artist receives an allowance of residence in the amount of 2000 euros
- a production budget in the amount of 2000 euros.
>> ABRONS AIRSPACE PROGRAM (USA)
Visual Artist Residencies
Abrons Arts Center annually supports four visual art residencies for New York City-based artists. Residents receive a monetary award for their participation in the program, as well as a semi-private studio for up to nine months at the Abrons facility, located in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Throughout the residency cycle, studio visits are arranged with critics, curators, artists and other arts-workers. The residency period culminates in a group exhibition in Abrons galleries.
- Abrons does not provide visa sponsorship.
- Artists enrolled in a school, college, or university are not eligible to apply.
- Collaborative groups are invited to apply. If selected, they will receive one studio.
- Applicant must be New York City based and living within 5 boroughs at the time of application submission and during the residency period. Applicants living outside New York City will have to make their own accommodation arrangements.
Application deadline: They will accept up to 300 applications until May 22, 2020. Applications will close once 300 applications have been submitted.
- A $3,000 unrestricted stipend for their participation in the program
- A semi-private studio for nine months at the Abrons facility, located in the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
- 30 hours of free studio time in Abrons dance studios and theaters
- Studio visits with critics, curators, artists, and other arts-workers throughout the residency cycle
- Bi-monthly dinner with residency cohort
- A Residency group exhibition in Abrons’ galleries
>> REAKTOR POTENZIALE | CALL FOR CONCEPTS (AUSTRIA)
The REAKTOR’s cross-disciplinary programme features works that are imbued with the spirit of the times. Indeed, what is still considered experimental today may well one day be perceived as timelessly permanent. That is particularly true of contemporary art. The REAKTOR’s call for concepts is designed to seek out that very potential in the visual arts, hence the title Potenziale. Particular emphasis is to be placed on space-defining art for the REAKTOR’s architectural core, i.e. its main hall.
The chosen artists will be invited to flesh out and implement their submitted concept as part of a 1-2 week’s residency in July 2020 and then showcase it to the public as part of an exhibition.
- Art experience | The Open Call is looking for works that address the topic of reason and emotion.
- A balance between conceptual depth and material precision | Previously completed works featured in the portfolio will be taken into consideration when assessing the submission.
- Preference will be given to objects and/or concepts that make full use of the main hall’s sizeable volume.
- Site specificity | Optionally a dialogue is to be sought with the genius loci (in terms of architecture and/or content).
- Feasibility | Budget, public safety
Application deadline: 31 May 2020
- A budget of up to EUR 3,500.00 is available for the exhibition production, together with practical assistance from the REAKTOR’s technical team.
>> LIGHT WORK ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE PROGRAM (USA)
Artists selected for the residency program are invited to live in Syracuse for one month.
Participants in the residency program are expected to use their month to pursue their own projects: photographing in the area, scanning or printing for a specific project or book, and so on. Artists are not obligated to lecture at our facility, though we hope that the artists are friendly and accessible to local artists and students. Work by each Artist-in-Residence becomes a part of the Light Work Collection and is published in a special edition of Contact Sheet: The Light Work Annual along with an essay commissioned by Light Work.
Application deadline: 1 June 2020
- One artist co-sponsored by Autograph ABP and one artist commission for Urban Video Project (UVP).
- They receive a $5,000 stipend,
- an apartment to stay in,
- a private digital studio,
- a private darkroom,
- 24-hour access to our facility.