9 FULLY FUNDED ART RESIDENCIES TO APPLY IN FEBRUARY 2020
There is a wide range of art residencies available and it is crucial to make artists aware of such possibilities, recommend the most interesting ones, and allow art practitioners to share their experiences. That’s why each month we publish articles with selected open calls from around the world, and run a Facebook Group “Open calls/Residencies/Opportunities for artists” where the arts community can share more opportunities and experiences.
See the list of art residency programmes from around the world that can change your career:
>> NORDIC CULTURE POINT
The Culture and Art Programme supports Nordic cooperation within art and culture. You can apply for funding for a project with artistic and/or cultural quality which promotes a multifaceted and sustainable Nordic region.
Applicants can be: individuals, groups, organisations, institutions and companies.
For example, the projects may entail:
- creation or dissemination of works, projects and initiatives that require a creative process
- creation of meeting places between artists/cultural bodies and the public
- development and dissemination of knowledge and/or work methods
- organising discussions and debates, as well as seminars and workshops
Application round: 05.02.2020 – 05.03.2020
You can apply for support for all phases of a project, from preliminary work to implementing a full scale project. The amount applied for should be reasonable considering the scale of the project. The larger the amount applied for, the larger the requirement for self-financing from, for example, other funding bodies. Co-financing is considered a key part of the project’s conditions.
Projects can be granted:
- up to EUR 7,000 with full financing;
- up to EUR 40,000 with at least 30% co-financing;
- up to EUR 100,000 with at least 50% co-financing.
Therefore this means that the grant from the Culture and Art Programme can cover between 50 – 100% of the project’s total costs, depending on the size of the applied grant.
>> RESIDENCY PROGRAM NORA (France)
With the support of the French Ministry of culture, the ACCR has been coordinating the NORA artist-in-residence program for refugees exiled in France. The call is aimed at artists, researchers and culture professionals from Near and Middle East and from Africa, who have recently received a refugee status in France; following countries will be examined in priority: Syria, Iraq, Libya, South Soudan, Eritrea and Yemen.
Application deadline: 21 February 2020.
- 1000€ per month and the refunding of their travel fees (up to a determined level according to the distance to the residency center).
- residents are staying free of charge, within the Centre that has accepted them
- whenever possible, the Centre puts at their disposal material necessary for their residency project. The period of residency can vary from 1 to 6 months.
>> Malt AIR (Denmark)
Malt AIR is a new visual arts residency programme in Denmark. The residency is run in collaboration between The Danish Art Workshops, Kunsthal Aarhus and Maltfabrikken, and is supported by The Danish Arts Foundation. Malt AIR invites professional artists from all over the world to participate in a three-month visual arts residency programme at Maltfabrikken in Ebeltoft.
Application deadline: 23 February 2020.
Support: a monthly
- stipend of 1000€ to cover living expenses;
- local transport and cost of materials and production;
- an individual studio;
- shared workshop facilities and accommodation in a shared apartment situated at Maltfabrikken in Ebeltoft, Denmark;
- a travel grant for an economy class flight to Denmark and return.
>> “STATEMENTS 2020” — OPEN CALL FOR PERFORMATIVE EVENTS, Klagenfurt (Austria)
Kunstraum Lakeside is looking for performative pieces that relate to the annual topic while experimenting with modes of representation in the visual arts in the context of an institution at the interface between art, science, and technology.
The 2020 year of programs at Kunstraum Lakeside is devoted to the concept of “format.”
Application deadline: 23 February 2020
- they provide 1000 euros of production funding including fees;
- accommodation expenses.
>> 2020 INDONESIAN ARTS AND CULTURE SCHOLARSHIP
Candidates should be between the ages of 21 to 27 years old, with at least a high school diploma. Arts students or those with an academic history in Indonesian culture are particularly encouraged to apply.
Awardees of the 2020 IACS will be targeted from many countries: member countries of ASEAN, ASEAN + 3, East Asia Summit, ASEAN Dialog Partners, ASEAN + European Union, Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation, Asia-Europe Meeting, Africa Region, Melanesian Spearhead Group and members of South West Pacific Dialog as the original participants of Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship.
The non-degree arts and culture scholarship is offered for three months period of time, starting on 2 May to 15 August 2020.
Application deadline: 28 February 2020
- Monthly allowance of Rp. 2.000.000,00
- Round trip economy class tickets
- Local transportation
- Health insurance
>> AN ART INSIDE OUT RESIDENCY IN FALKENBERG MUNICIPALITY (SWEDEN) IN 2020
The Art Inside Out residency Disruptions in utopia, land left behind aims at an artistic activation of one of three possible sites in the municipality of Falkenberg, Sweden
Art Inside Out is offering a 12 week long residency for one international artist during 2020 with the following schedule: June 8th-19 (research), August 17– October 11 (production), October 12–25 (presentation). The artist can work individually or in collaboration with the chosen Swedish artist attending the residency.
There will be public presentations of the artistic process in Falkenberg as well as in other places in Region Halland and Sweden during the residency period. The artistic process will be followed and documented in AIO Journal (artinsideout.se) and in the printed AIO Magasin.
Application deadline: 28 February 2020
- the artist will receive 13 200 Euro (the artist is responsible to pay applicable taxes in his or her home country) for a 12 week long residency;
- a production budget of 3800 Euro;
- Art Inside Out will cover travel costs, and provide the chosen artist with accommodation and workspace.
>> APPELS. Artistes en Residence, Clermont-Ferrand (France)
For 2020, Artistes en Résidence launches a new residency format: The Intramuros Residency – 100 days. The primary goal of this new program is to welcome artists and researchers for a period of 100 days without any geographical or age limit. The 3 selected artists will be free to organize their working periods between September 2020 and July 2021. The periods of residence in Clermont-Ferrand will be decided in agreement with the team of Artistes en Résidence, according to the availability of the apartment and the studios. The selected artists can also opt by doing the residency in 100 consecutive days.
Application deadline: 29 February 2020
- A financial aid of 4000 euros (travel costs included);
- A studio and accommodation during the residency period to be shared among the selected artists.
>> KOHLER ARTS CENTRE, New York
Each year, up to twelve artists are selected for residencies in the Pottery or Foundry areas of the factory through a competitive jury process. No experience with clay or cast metal is required, just an interest in pursuing a new body of work and being open to new ideas.
Arts/Industry residencies are three months in length.
Application deadline: 3 March 2020
- Artists-in-residence receive 24-hour access to studio space;
- industrial materials;
- use of equipment;
- technical assistance;
- photographic services;
- round-trip transportation;
- weekly stipend.
>> EHESS at Camargo, Cassis (France)
Through the new residency program EHESS at Camargo, the École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS) and the Camargo Foundation aim at stimulating relations and exchanges between scholars and artists for the development of projects at the interface between the social sciences and all areas of the arts.
- The scholar must belong to an EHESS lab
- The artist must be the main designer of a new work or project. To be eligible, the artist must reside abroad
- The selection committee will be particularly attentive to teams working in connection with the Marseilles activities of EHESS (especially the Festival Allez Savoir) or with Camargo’s priorities for the future of our societies.
- Priority may also be given to projects for which a cultural institution is approached for production and/or promotion. The result of the collaboration will be presented to the EHESS and to Camargo during the residency.
Application deadline: 19 March 2020
- hosting the team in residence during the month of residence at the Camargo Foundation (provision of an apartment with a fully equipped kitchen and bathroom);
- a one-month fellowship of an amount equivalent to that of the visiting professors program (4,000 euros for 28 days), as well as the costs related to the scholar’s residence (transportation costs if necessary, per diem).